Sunday, May 27, 2012

Planting a small garden for fall harvest In New England short summer

If I want to do some serious canning and preserving, I first need a garden.

I started two weeks ago, the top picture is the beginning. The bottom picture in the first strip is two weeks later. It's such a short season, so I'm hoping some quality vegetables can be derived from my little garden.


I started with tomato plants, cucumbers and mint. Then, I added three more tomato plants in buckets. The cherry tomato plant moved to the end of the driveway and is growing so fast. Then, today I added basil and rosemary to the raised bed and some lavender to one of the pots near the bush tomato plant.
I added Coast of Maine quoddy lobster compost which is organic. From their website description.
"Quoddy Blend is made from composted crab, lobster and aspen bark. The crab and lobster shells are a rich source of calcium and chitin, the aspen bark a source of tannins and lignins. It's a blend that's perfect for your vegetable garden, especially for your tomatoes! The calcium content is beneficial for lilacs and roses too."

The first part of the garden beginning is on this blog.

1 comment:

  1. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete