Sunday, May 29, 2011

Summer Salads

Here are a few summer salads recipes and instructions from a 1954 Cape Cod Community Cook Book.

I love Tomato Salad,  this is for Tomato Salad Dressing.

Here's what they did back then:

1/2 cup salad oil (or mineral oil, if on diet)? Mineral Oil in salad?  Ooh, never tried that.
1 can tomato soup
1  1/2 tsp salt
1/4 cup vinegar
1/2 cup sugar
2 tsp chopped onion
1 tsp mustard
several pieces finely chopped celery
1/2 tsp paprika.

Mix ingredients, add to soup, then add onion, celery, pepper, lastly oil and vinegar alternately.  Mix well with egg beater. 

Hmmm. it sounds delicious really, but when I have a fresh summer garden tomato, I need nothing but salt! 
That recipe could be used with a lettuce based salad and be amazing.  I would add some lettuce, and top with toasted pine nuts. 

______________________________________



Arrivederci


(gearing up for my trip to Italy)




No comments:

Post a Comment